Unit 6.1 Overview of the Zoning Processes
This unit gives you an overview of the zoning processes. The remaining units in this module provide details that will assist with actually performing each process.
At the end of this unit, the learner should be able to describe how multiple zoning processes relate to each other. In order to meet this objective, the learner should be able to:
- identify at least four processes associated with zoning ordinances;
- identify skills needed to execute the zoning ordinance processes; and,
- identify when each process is performed in relationship to the others.
We suggest that the learner have an understanding of the following:
- the planning official;
- foundations of planning and zoning;
- the purpose and content of the comprehensive plan; and,
- zoning concepts and terminology.
In order to introduce this subject, the following topics are discussed in this unit:
- Introduction to Overview of the Zoning Processes
- Word to the Wise
- Big Picture
- Creating an Ordinance
- Adopting an Ordinance
- Amending an Ordinance
- Special Land Uses
- Planned Unit Development
- Appeals, Variances, Interpretations
- Zoning Ordinance Enforcement
- Managing the Zoning Processes
Training units are online, self-paced, independent-study opportunities to learn about the core tasks associated with becoming a planning official. It is estimated that each unit will take between 30 minutes and two hours to complete.
You may purchase the entire module or purchase individual units. To purchase the unit, please add now to your cart. To purchase the entire module, please click here
This product is brought to you by the Citizen Planner Program at Michigan State University. For more information, please e-mail MSU Global Client Services at firstname.lastname@example.org
or call (517) 353-3123 or visit the website www.citizenplanner.msu.edu/online
This purchase allows Michigan State University (MSU) Extension representatives access to your directory information as specified by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). MSU Extension representatives will utilize this information to provide you with continuing educational opportunities at the county/local level. For more information about FERPA and your rights, please use the follow link, http://www.reg.msu.edu/Read/UCC/Updated/privacy.pdf